CBD Helps Cancer Pain and Anxiety
This study summary provides fact-based answers about CBD benefits for anxiety and pain caused by cancer.
- learn exactly how CBD affects specific types of cancer care and palliative care
- discover the optimal CBD dosage tested and adverse effects
- find out how this nonintoxicating compound may benefit pain and anxiety from cancer
If you don’t find an answer in this guide to a question you have, leave us a comment below. We’ll search the published studies to see if an answer exists and get back to you.
Let’s get started.
2020 Study: CBD Cream Benefits For Cancer Pain
24% of palliative care patients at a clinic in Florida report using CBD cream for pain with minimal side effects. (1)
This study focuses on the use of THC and CBD at a palliative care clinic in the state of Florida following the legalization of medical cannabis.
The goal of this study was to characterize how medical cannabis and CBD were being used by palliative care patients, its benefits, adverse effects, and the beliefs that patients have about using medical cannabis and CBD products. (2)
A cross-sectional survey was performed over the course of 3 months at the palliative care facility. (3)
- 24% (14/58) of palliative care patients at this facility used THC (half used THC daily). Benefits: improvements in pain, appetite, and nausea.
- 71% of the palliative care patients using THC began using medical cannabis after their diagnosis. Vaping was the most common form of consumption.
- 24% (14/58) used CBD products as part of their palliative care for their chronic disease. Patients reported CBD benefits for pain. CBD cream for pain was the most frequently used type of CBD product. None of the patients used CBD products prior to their diagnosis. (4)
Side effects are minimal to none (5)
Video: Mayo Clinic talk about CBD and cannabis in palliative care
Good P, Haywood A, Gogna G, et al. Oral medicinal cannabinoids to relieve symptom burden in the palliative care of patients with advanced cancer: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial of efficacy and safety of cannabidiol (CBD). BMC Palliat Care. 2019;18(1):110. Published 2019 Dec 6. doi:10.1186/s12904-019-0494-6
2019 Study: CBD For Advanced Cancer Pain
This new CBD study is just getting underway now.
Study the effects of cannabidiol in palliative care for patients with advanced cancer. (1)
- Patients with advanced cancer struggle with severe pain but also emotional stress and anxiety due to their condition.
- This research aims to study the effects of taking CBD for the entire “symptom burden” experienced by patients with advanced cancer who are receiving palliative care. (2)
This is a “multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled, two-arm, parallel trial of escalating doses of oral CBD.” (3)
CBD Dose Tested
CBD dose will be slowly increased over 2 weeks until the desired symptom relief is achieved and then the CBD dose will be maintained for another 2 weeks after. (4)
Video: UCLA talk about the use of cannabinoids in pain management
Highet BH, Lesser ER, Johnson PW, Kaur JS. Tetrahydrocannabinol and Cannabidiol Use in an Outpatient Palliative Medicine Population [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jan 27]. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2020;1049909119900378. doi:10.1177/1049909119900378
Keywords: Cannabis, Cannabidiol, Cancer, Symptom control, RCT, Palliative care