CBD Dementia Effects
This study summary provides fact-based answers about CBD benefits for brain aging and dementia.
- learn why CBD is a promising treatment for dementia
- know exactly how CBD helps protect the brain from aging and dementia
- discover the oral CBD dosages being tested and possible adverse effects
- find out how this powerful nonintoxicating compound can benefit you
If you don’t find an answer in this guide to a question you have, leave us a comment below. We’ll search the published studies to see if an answer exists and get back to you.
Let’s get started.
Published February 2019
- This study will test the safety of a cannabis-based oil with a THC:CBD ratio of 3:2 (3 parts THC to 2 parts CBD).
- The study will test CBD benefits for dementia by assessing effects on dementia behavior symptoms, quality of life and pain relief (1).
- 18 week, randomized, double-blind crossover trial
- 2-week eligibility period
- two 6-week treatment cycles
- two 2-week washout periods (2)
- 50 participants with dementia
- currently living in a residential care facility (3)
Data will be collected on 7 occasions for the following assessments:
Do you struggle with chronic pain or know someone who does? Patients over 50 with chronic pain symptoms have quality sleep and wake up less during the night. See the full study here.
Video: Care for the elderly with cannabinoids
Timler A, Bulsara C, Bulsara M, Vickery A, Smith J, Codde J. Use of cannabinoid-based medicine among older residential care recipients diagnosed with dementia: study protocol for a double-blind randomised crossover trial. Trials. 2020;21(1):188. Published 2020 Feb 14. doi:10.1186/s13063-020-4085-x