2019 Study: Safe CBD Dosage For Dogs And Cats
Published October 19, 2019
This study suggests that CBD is not toxic to dogs or cats. (1)
Safe CBD Dosage for Dogs and Cats
2mg/kg of oral CBD twice daily. (2)
The purpose of this new CBD research is to provide a veterinary assessment of whether it is safe to give cannabidiol to healthy adult dogs and cats. (3)
- The study was conducted for a period of 12 weeks.
- 8 healthy dogs were tested.
- 8 healthy cats were tested. (5)
Both dogs and cats received 2 mg/kg total CBD concentration orally twice daily for 12 weeks. (6)
- Testing of the animals revealed that the highest concentration of CBD in the blood occurred 1.4 hours after the CBD dose in dogs and 2 hours after the CBD dose in cats.
- Blood tests showed no significant changes or negative effects from consuming CBD in either cats or dogs.
- It was determined that oral CBD administered every 12 hours was not detrimental to the health of dogs or cats. (7)
The study did not test for potential benefits from giving CBD to cats or dogs. (8)
- The study did note that cats seem to absorb and eliminate CBD differently than dogs.
- Some cats exhibited adverse effects including excessive licking and head shaking while the CBD was being administered. (9)
Video: Benefits of CBD for dogs and cats
Keywords: cannabidiol; cat; dog; hemp; pharmacokinetics; toxicity
Deabold KA, Schwark WS, Wolf L, Wakshlag JJ. Single-Dose Pharmacokinetics and Preliminary Safety Assessment with Use of CBD-Rich Hemp Nutraceutical in Healthy Dogs and Cats. Animals (Basel). 2019;9(10):832. Published 2019 Oct 19. doi:10.3390/ani9100832