Hemp Seed Oil Drug Test: Results
This is a scientific guide.
Based on the latest medical studies.
- know exactly how long and short term use of hemp seed oil will impact your drug test
- know the hemp seed oil dosage tested and types of drug tests administered
- find out if long term consumption of hemp seed oil causes a positive drug test
Let’s get started.
None of the study participants taking the hemp seed oil capsules failed the short term drug test or long term drug test in this study. (1)
- CBD comes mostly from hemp.
- Hemp and marijuana are the same species of plants.
- The difference between marijuana and hemp comes down to the total amount of THC found in a specific plant or strain. (3)
Differences between hemp and marijuana:
- If a cannabis plant produces a lot of THC then it’s considered a marijuana plant.
- If it produces no THC (or “virtually” none), then it’s considered a hemp plant.
- Marijuana plants produce high levels of THC.
- Sometimes, THC levels in marijuana plants can be above 30% depending on the growing conditions and the strain.
- It took many generations of selective breeding to increase the THC in these select marijuana strains to such high levels.
- Hemp, on the other hand, has been bred to have very low levels of THC and higher levels of non-intoxicating cannabinoids like CBD. (4)
Legal Definition of Hemp
For a cannabis plant to be considered hemp, it must have less than .3% THC content. That’s why it’s said that hemp has “virtually no THC.”
Now, back to the study.
Hemp Seed Oil Benefits
- Researchers in Korea drug tested the urine of 64 participants to see if hemp seed oil capsules would cause a positive result (“failing the drug test”) for a marijuana drug test.
- The researchers tested the first urine samples after 1 week and then collected urine samples from the participants for the next 12 weeks as they continued taking the hemp seed oil capsules daily.
- At the end of the 12 weeks, the researchers drug tested all the samples. (6)
In the long term test, only two urine samples showed trace amounts of THC but the trace readings were well below the level at which they would cause a test to be positive for THC or marijuana. (7)
Video: Hemp seed oil…superfood?
Wei B, Wang L, Blount BC. Analysis of Cannabinoids and Their Metabolites in Human Urine. Anal Chem. 2015;87(20):10183–10187. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b02603