Hemp Seed Oil Drug Test: Results
This is a scientific guide.
Based on the latest medical studies.
- know exactly how long and short term use of hemp seed oil will impact your drug test
- know the hemp seed oil dosage tested and types of drug tests administered
- find out if long term consumption of hemp seed oil causes a positive drug test
Let’s get started.
Does hemp seed oil cause a positive drug test?
New Research Published December 21, 2019
Study Results: None of the study participants taking the hemp seed oil capsules failed the short term drug test or long term drug test in this study. (1)
- CBD comes mostly from hemp.
- Hemp and marijuana are the same species of plants.
- The difference between marijuana and hemp comes down to the total amount of THC found in a specific plant or strain. (3)
Differences between hemp and marijuana:
- If a cannabis plant produces a lot of THC then it’s considered a marijuana plant.
- If it produces no THC (or “virtually” none), then it’s considered a hemp plant.
- Marijuana plants produce high levels of THC.
- Sometimes, THC levels in marijuana plants can be above 30% depending on the growing conditions and the strain.
- It took many generations of selective breeding to increase the THC in these select marijuana strains to such high levels.
- Hemp, on the other hand, has been bred to have very low levels of THC and higher levels of non-intoxicating cannabinoids like CBD. (4)
Legal definition of hemp: For a cannabis plant to be considered hemp, it must have less than .3% THC content. That’s why it’s said that hemp has “virtually no THC.”
Now, back to the study.
- Researchers in Korea drug tested the urine of 64 participants to see if hemp seed oil capsules would cause a positive result (“failing the drug test”) for a marijuana drug test.
- The researchers tested the first urine samples after 1 week and then collected urine samples from the participants for the next 12 weeks as they continued taking the hemp seed oil capsules daily.
- At the end of the 12 weeks, the researchers drug tested all the samples. (6)
Conclusion: In the long term test, only two urine samples showed trace amounts of THC but the trace readings were well below the level at which they would cause a test to be positive for THC or marijuana. (7)
Hemp seed oil…superfood?
Wei B, Wang L, Blount BC. Analysis of Cannabinoids and Their Metabolites in Human Urine. Anal Chem. 2015;87(20):10183–10187. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b02603