Will Hemp Seed Oil Cause A Positive Drug Test?
Hemp seed oil will not cause a failed drug test. According to a definitive 2019 medical study, you can use hemp seed oil without testing positive in a drug test. The saliva and urine drug tests used in this study were more sensitive to the presence of THC than drug tests commercially available. Hemp seed oil, hemp-based foods, and hemp body products such as lotions and creams will not cause a positive drug test result.
Drug tests screen urine, blood, or saliva samples for the presence of THC. THC is the psychoactive cannabinoid in marijuana that gets people “high.” Commerical hemp-based food and beauty products are not legally allowed to contain THC.
Hemp is not the same as marijuana. Hemp contains virtually no THC while marijuana may contain up to 30% THC by weight. Because hemp contains virtually no THC, it has been legal federally for farmers to grow since 2018. Additionally, hemp seed oil is the product of the pressed hemp seeds. If trace amounts of THC were to exist in a hemp plant, the THC would be found in the flower of the plant and not in the seeds. Even in high THC marijuana, THC is not found in the seeds of the plant.
The medical study selected for this article is conducted by a highly reputable scientific organization.
- learn exactly how long and short term use of hemp seed oil may impact your drug test results
- learn the hemp seed oil dosage drug tested and types of drug tests administered
- learn if long term consumption of hemp seed oil may cause a positive drug test special circumstances
If you don’t find an answer in this guide to a question you have, leave us a comment below. We’ll search the published studies to see if an answer exists and get back to you.
Let’s get started.
Drug Test Study Results
Medical Study Summary
It is widely believed that consuming hemp seed oil will not cause you to fail a drug test…but is that true? New research has the answer. (2)
- Many people use hemp seed oil for medicinal and cosmetic purposes
- Although hemp and marijuana are the same species of cannabis Sativa plant, each plant has different chemical properties.
- The difference between marijuana and cannabis Sativa hemp is determined by the presence the intoxicating compound THC. Hemp has less than 0.3% THC content while marijuana may have up to 100 times as much THC content. (3)
Differences between cannabis Sativa hemp and marijuana:
- Both hemp and marijuana are types of Cannabis plants.
- If a cannabis plant produces a lot of THC (more than 0.3%) then it’s considered a marijuana plant.
- If a cannabis plant produces no THC (or “virtually” none), then it’s considered a hemp plant.
- Marijuana plants generally produce between 5% and 30% THC content.
- By law, hemp plants produce less than 0.3% THC content.
- Cannabis growers breed their plants to either produce high levels of THC (marijuana) or low levels of THC (medicinal hemp) depending on the final market for their product.
- Hemp is bred to have high levels of non-intoxicating cannabinoids like CBD.
- CBD benefits include pain and anxiety relief. (4)
Legal Definition of Hemp
The legal definition of hemp is really simple. If a cannabis plant has less than 0.3% THC, then it is legal federally and considered hemp.
Quality hemp seed oil comes exclusively from hemp plants that were bred to have very low to virtually no THC content.
Now, back to the study
Hemp Seed Oil Benefits
Hemp Seed Oil is used for pain relief, anxiety relief, cosmetic reasons, and as a dietary supplement. (5)
Drug Testing Process
- Researchers in Korea drug tested the urine of 64 participants to see if hemp seed oil capsules would cause a failed drug test.
- Researchers tested the first urine samples after 1 week and continued collected urine samples from the participants for the next 12 weeks. Study participants continued taking hemp seed oil capsules daily throughout the 12 week collection period.
- At the end of the 12 weeks, researchers tested all samples. (6)
- The lab equipment used was significantly more sensitive than what is employed in commercial drug tests.
Video: Hemp Seed Oil and CBD Extract are not the same thing. Some CBD Extracts (even those sold on Amazon) have been found to contain THC.
Wei B, Wang L, Blount BC. Analysis of Cannabinoids and Their Metabolites in Human Urine. Anal Chem. 2015;87(20):10183–10187. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b02603