CBD For Pain
This is a scientific guide.
Based on the latest medical studies.
Know the exact CBD benefits for:
- hard to treat pain
- chronic pain
- neuropathic pain
Let’s get started.
2020 Medical Study Results
2016 Medical Study Results
CBD Benefits: Chronic Pain
Medical cannabis patients improve insomnia caused by chronic pain.
Does Medical Cannabis help insomnia caused by chronic pain?
Pain Relief Research Published On January 20, 2020
Study Results: After factoring in variations for “age, sex, pain level, and use of [other] sleep and anti-depressant medications,” patients showed improvement in their sleep (1).
Who Benefits: Patients over the age of 50 with insomnia caused by chronic pain (2).
- Medical cannabis appeared to help patients stay asleep and kept them from waking up during the night (3).
- Medical cannabis did not affect how quickly patients fell asleep nor the overall duration of their sleep (4).
Possible adverse effects: Frequent use of cannabis may not improve sleep (5).
Frequent medical cannabis users reported:
- increased difficulty falling asleep
- increased difficulty staying asleep the whole night
Our Summary: More patients are preferring to take medical cannabis for their chronic pain and insomnia symptoms.
In this study: 128 patients over the age of 50 were recruited from a local pain clinic.
66 were medical cannabis users and 62 did not use medical cannabis (6).
Analysis: Predictive modeling was used to assess the sleep differences in the two groups.
Statistical correlations were also made between sleep and the properties of the medical cannabis used such as:
- length of use
- frequency of use
- number of strains used
- tetrahydrocannabinol levels
- cannabidiol levels
Conclusion: The results of the study associated medical cannabis use with fewer Sleep Maintenance Insomnia symptoms but medical cannabis use did not affect Sleep Onset Insomnia nor overall sleep duration in older patients with chronic pain (7).
Check out this quick video to learn how people are using medical cannabis for chronic pain relief.
Sznitman SR, Vulfsons S, Meiri D, Weinstein G. Medical cannabis and insomnia in older adults with chronic pain: a cross-sectional study [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jan 20]. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2020;bmjspcare-2019-001938. doi:10.1136/bmjspcare-2019-001938
CBD Benefits: Neuropathic Pain
CBD cream significantly improves neuropathic pain.
CBD for neuropathic pain relief?
New CBD Research Published December 1, 2019
Study Results: There was a “significant reduction in intense pain, sharp pain, cold and itchy sensations in the CBD group when compared to the placebo group.” (1)
- Patients with chronic pain and neuropathic pain not caused by cancer (2).
- The average age of patients in the study was 68 years (3)
- The researchers concluded that transdermal application (topical CBD cream) can relieve pain in patients with peripheral neuropathy.
- CBD cream may provide an alternative to other treatments for neuropathic pain (4).
Adverse Effects: There were no adverse events noted in this study. Cannabidiol was well tolerated by all participants with minimal to no side effects in this study.
Our summary: This new CBD research aims to examine the pain-relieving properties of topical CBD cream for the treatment of chronic and neuropathic pain not caused by cancer.
By the numbers:
- 4 week
- 29 patients with neuropathic pain symptoms (divided into two groups)
Topical CBD Cream Dosage: One group received a CBD topical cream dose of 250 mg CBD/3 fl. oz while the other received a placebo.
After 4 weeks the placebo group was allowed to transfer over to receive treatment with the CBD cream (5).
- The participants in the study had an average age of 68 years.
- Two-thirds were male and one-third female.
Check out this quick video about CBD for neuropathic pain relief.
Xu DH, Cullen BD, Tang M, Fang Y. The Effectiveness of Topical Cannabidiol Oil in Symptomatic Relief of Peripheral Neuropathy of the Lower Extremities [published online ahead of print, 2019 Dec 1]. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2019;10.2174/1389201020666191202111534. doi:10.2174/1389201020666191202111534
CBD Benefits: Chronic Pain
CBD significantly reduces dependence on opioid painkillers in chronic pain patients.
Can CBD help chronic pain patients stop taking opioid painkillers?
New CBD Research Published November 12, 2019
- 53% of chronic pain patients reduced or eliminated their prescribed opioid use within 8 weeks of adding CBD to their pain treatment.
- 94% of study participants reported quality of life improvements from taking CBD.
- strong relationship between CBD and improvements in chronic pain intensity as well as better sleep quality (1).
- Ages 30-65
- taking opiates prescribed by a doctor for more than 1 year
- patients with chronic pain (2)
- reduce or eliminate opiates from pain management treatment
- better sleep
- improved reported quality of life (3)
Conclusion: Cannabidiol could reduce opioid use and improve the quality of sleep for patients who take pharmaceutical opiates for chronic pain (4).
Our summary: 131 patients were recruited from a pain management clinic.
Of the 131 patients, 97 completed the 8 week CBD research study.
Patients were ages 30-65.
Before the study, patients were using opioids for at least one year to treat chronic pain symptoms (5).
Evaluation: Improvements in chronic pain symptoms were evaluated using 4 tests:
- Pain Disability Index (PDI-4) (positive trend results, but not significant)
- Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) (a significant improvement from CBD use)
- Pain Intensity and Interference (PEG) (a significant improvement from CBD use)
- Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-4) (positive trend results, but not significant) (6)
Check out this helpful video on CBD for Opiod Dependence.
Capano A, Weaver R, Burkman E. Evaluation of the effects of CBD hemp extract on opioid use and quality of life indicators in chronic pain patients: a prospective cohort study. Postgrad Med. 2020;132(1):56–61. doi:10.1080/00325481.2019.1685298
CBD Benefits: Pain and Inflammation
Medical research into the best CBD delivery methods for pain and inflammation relief.
CBD Study Published August 2018
Our Summary: This CBD study focuses on different delivery methods of cannabidiol for pain and inflammation.
Benefits: CBD has possible benefits for treating a wide variety of conditions including :
- sleep disorders
- symptoms of multiple sclerosis
- schizophrenia (1)
- and more
Types of CBD: This study is a review of different methods for delivering CBD for treating pain and inflammation including oral, transdermal and nanotechnology-based drug delivery strategies (2).
Bruni N, Della Pepa C, Oliaro-Bosso S, Pessione E, Gastaldi D, Dosio F. Cannabinoid Delivery Systems for Pain and Inflammation Treatment. Molecules. 2018;23(10):2478. Published 2018 Sep 27. doi:10.3390/molecules23102478
CBD: Traditional Pain Relief
Historical perspective on cannabinoid use in traditional medicine pain management.
CBD Study Published November 2018
- Cannabinoids have been used for treating medical conditions for thousands of years.
- Cannabis as medicine stopped during the mid-twentieth century due to the prohibition against marijuana.
- Cannabis is most commonly used to treat chronic pain (1).
Cannabis and CBD hold substantial promise for treating:
- chronic pain
- neuropathic pain
- Cannabidiol side effects are minimal to moderate according to the study and generally stop if treatment is ended (2).
- Long-term use of cannabidiol has not been studied well enough to have a clear understanding of the possible adverse effects.
- There is a lack of information as to the long term effects of using cannabis and cannabinoids for treating pain.
- More research needs to be conducted to confirm its cannabidiol’s long term safety record (3).
Keywords: animals; cannabis/cannabinoids; efficacy; humans; pain; pharmacodynamics; pharmacokinetics; safety
Vučković S, Srebro D, Vujović KS, Vučetić Č, Prostran M. Cannabinoids and Pain: New Insights From Old Molecules. Front Pharmacol. 2018;9:1259. Published 2018 Nov 13. doi:10.3389/fphar.2018.01259
CBD Benefits: Arthritis Pain
CBD cream benefits in animal models. Early research.
CBD Study Published July 2016
- CBD has benefits for treating pain particularly in patients who struggle with arthritis (1).
- CBD does not have good absorption rates when taken orally (2).
Our Summary: This study aims to research absorption rates and pain relief of cannabidiol when applied as a topical skin cream.
Conclusion: The study finds that CBD skin cream does treat pain and inflammation from arthritis (3).
Hammell DC, Zhang LP, Ma F, et al. Transdermal cannabidiol reduces inflammation and pain-related behaviours in a rat model of arthritis. Eur J Pain. 2016;20(6):936–948. doi:10.1002/ejp.818