CBD Reduces Alcohol Cravings And Withdrawal
These study summaries provide fact-based answers about CBD benefits for alcoholism and withdrawal.
- how to use CBD for alcoholism
- see exactly how CBD benefits alcohol withdrawal and cravings
- discover the optimal CBD dosage tested and possible adverse effects
- find out how this nonintoxicating compound affects Alcohol Use Disorder
If you don’t find an answer in this guide to a question you have, leave us a comment below. We’ll search the published studies to see if an answer exists and get back to you.
Let’s get started.
CBD May Treat Alcohol Use Disorder
- This is a scientific study
- CBD may protect the brain from the adverse effects of alcohol
Published April 14, 2019
- CBD protected the brain from some adverse effects of alcohol use in preclinical and lab trials. (2)
- CBD decreased liver toxicity and alcohol-induced fatty liver in animals. (3)
CBD decreased symptoms of alcohol abuse
- cue-elicited and stress-elicited alcohol-seeking
- alcohol self-administration
- withdrawal-induced convulsions
- impulsive discounting of delayed rewards (4)
CBD was well tolerated with minimal side effects in human trials. (5)
CBD is non-addictive.
This study was a review of medical literature and research for the therapeutic potential of CBD in cases of Alcoholism.
The researchers analyzed 12 articles on CBD for alcoholism:
- 8 using rodent models
- 3 using healthy adult volunteers
- 1 using cell culture
In both rodent and cell cultures, evidence was found for CBD having neuroprotective effects on the hippocampus area of the brain. (6)
In rodent models, cannabidiol was found to have protective effects on the liver, specifically fatty liver disease associated with alcoholism. (7)
In rodent models, CBD was also found to have a number of effects that could be helpful for addicts who are trying to quit using alcohol. It appears that CBD may decrease alcohol cravings and specific alcohol withdrawal symptoms in rodents. (8)
With regard to human clinical research, this study states there is a lack of human trials to show that these preclinical findings are effective in people who struggle with Alcohol Use Disorder.
“Human preclinical and clinical studies are needed to determine whether these positive effects in model systems substantively translate into clinically relevant outcomes.” (9)
Interested in the benefits of CBD for PTSD? Check out this guide to CBD benefits for PTSD.
Video: CBD for alcohol withdrawal
Turna J, Syan SK, Frey BN, et al. Cannabidiol as a Novel Candidate Alcohol Use Disorder Pharmacotherapy: A Systematic Review. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2019;43(4):550–563. doi:10.1111/acer.13964
CBD Decreases Alcohol Abuse In Surprising Ways
Published December 2019
CBD shows promise diminishing symptoms of alcohol use disorder. (1)
- This study discusses how the endocannabinoid system may have important implications for cannabidiol treatments for alcoholism.
- The aim is to guide the thinking of future researchers and create a framework to study the relationship between cannabidiol and alcohol use disorder.
- Develop a theoretical framework for the effects of cannabinoids such as CBD on alcoholism. (2)
How CBD Works
While it is not currently known exactly how CBD helps diminish symptoms of alcoholism, there are a number of proposed mechanisms:
- CBD may affect brain functions which lead to alcohol consumption and abuse (3)
- CBD may influence alcohol abuse by effecting “digestive, immune, and central nervous systems, collectively known as the microbiota-gut-brain-axis (MGBA).” It appears CBD can repair disturbances in these systems which may have the result of reducing cravings for alcohol. (4)
Video: CBD benefits for quitting alcohol.
Karoly HC, Mueller RL, Bidwell LC, Hutchison KE. Cannabinoids and the Microbiota-Gut-Brain Axis: Emerging Effects of Cannabidiol and Potential Applications to Alcohol Use Disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2020;44(2):340–353. doi:10.1111/acer.14256