CBD Helps PTSD Fear Memories
This study summary provides fact-based answers about CBD benefits for PTSD.
- learn exactly how CBD affects PTSD causes and symptoms
- learn the optimal CBD dosage tested and adverse effects
If you don’t find an answer in this guide to a question you have, leave us a comment below. We’ll search the published studies to see if an answer exists and get back to you.
Let’s get started.
2019 Study: CBD Affects Fear Memory Recall
- CBD did significantly reduce fear memory recall in animal models.
- THC did not have the same effect as CBD when THC was taken alone.
- When THC and CBD were taken together, there was a significant reduction in fear memory.
- There was evidence that terpenes or other lesser cannabinoids had effects similar to CBD.
- A mix of terpenes, flavonoids and lesser cannabinoids significantly reduced fear memories when taken in isolation and when taken with THC. (1)
According to this new CBD research for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, CBD and THC may help diminish fear learning and fearful memory creation in mammals. (2)
- The CB1 receptor is part of the endocannabinoid system and located throughout the brain.
- CBD and THC are known to affect the CB1 receptor.
- People with PTSD are known to have increased CB1 receptor density in the brain.
- Patients with PTSD also have less of a natural chemical compound called anandamide.
- Anandamide is a compound created by your endocannabinoid system.
- Anandamide interacts with the CB1 receptor.
- CBD mimics the anandamide made by your body and interacts with the CB1 receptor. (3)
So, individuals with PTSD are known to have a high density of the type of receptors (CB1) which respond to cannabidiol and a lack of the natural chemical in the body that CBD mimics.
This suggests that taking CBD may be a promising treatment for PTSD. (4)
This CBD study aimed to find out if CBD and THC could block or diminish memories of fearful situations in lab animals as a stepping stone to developing a CBD treatment for PTSD. (5)
Looking for help with anxiety? Interested in CBD benefits for anxiety disorders? Check out this guide to CBD for anxiety.
Video: CBD for PTSD
Murkar A, Kent P, Cayer C, James J, Durst T, Merali Z. Cannabidiol and the Remainder of the Plant Extract Modulate the Effects of Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol on Fear Memory Reconsolidation. Front Behav Neurosci. 2019;13:174. Published 2019 Aug 1. doi:10.3389/fnbeh.2019.00174
Keywords: CBD; THC; blockade; cannabinoids; cannabis; fear; memory; reconsolidation